Thursday, January 1, 2015

2015... It's About Stepping Out

This morning I started my year doing something with one of my favorite men in my life, with a group of people that have been in my life for almost as long as he has been alive!  As with everything that I do with these people, I had so much fun.  What was it?  A New Year's day tradition...  Meet up and watch a movie in our pajamas.  Who was it with?  The Angels for the Cure.  Who the heck is that?!?!?!  I'm glad you asked!

Way back in 2007, I was finally getting into the groove of being a single mom and going through a "self-discovery" stage, so to speak.  I heard about this thing called "The Breast Cancer 3 Day" on the radio.  My mother and aunt had survived their battles with cancer.  I also had learned that another aunt had survived a humiliating round of breast cancer many decades back.  I had completed local 5K's, but this was so much more...  Sixty miles, three days...  More importantly, raising $2,300.  Yes, each participant must raise this amount.  The journey ahead was a long one, but the fight that my loved ones faced was paled in comparison.  

I was lucky enough to meet the team captain of Angels for the Cure!  I'm not exactly sure HOW it happened, but a higher power had something to do with it.  Debby is a great captain and has a huge passion for this cause.  Her motivation and drive is enough to keep us all motivated throughout the year.  I walked in 2008 with Angels for the Cure.  In 2009, I was a Crew member, but still as a member of the AFTC team.  In 2010, I had surgery on my foot a few weeks prior to the event and was a Walker Stalker...  I just went out and cheered on my teammates.   With 2011 came more issues with my feet, so I was unable to walk.  Then, I changed careers.  I still supported my AFTC team and cheered them on.  However, I was not able to participate in the 3 Day.  The friendships that this event creates are unbreakable.  There is something about this event that creates bonds that cannot be described.

Fast forward to 2014.  A year ago, I was told that I carry one of the breast cancer genes (there are two types).  Okay.  I get myself regularly checked, so I just go twice a year now instead of once.  No big deal.  Then, my middle school best friend has ankle surgery and gets diagnosed with breast cancer.  WHAT????  She is having a hard time...  Financially, physically, medically.  To top it off, her sister was also diagnosed with this horrible disease!  I did what I knew to do...  Started talking...  Raise awareness.  One of the gyms I work at hosted a PINK OUT! event at all of their locations.  Hopefully that will be an annual event.  I was asked to lead the 3 Day walkers in a Zumba warm-up.  Wow!  I was so honored!  After back and forth, I decided to chop off over eleven inches of hair and donate it.  What else did I do?  I vented to my Angels.  I know that they are always there and they would be willing to understand my frustration.  They helped out like I knew they would.

I loved being with these ladies this morning.  It was great for us all to see one another's kids and just be silly with each other.  I am joining them again this year as a Walker...  Training walks, fanny packs, blisters, pink tents.  And raising money!  Such a lofty goal, $2,300, but please help me reach my goal by donating (www.the3day.org/goto/sylbernal). Do you have a Kroger reward card?  You can link up your card to help our team when you shop!  Just ask me how.  

2015 is going to be a GREAT year!

http://www.the3day.org/goto/sylbernal

No comments:

Post a Comment